top of page

What is an MC Number?

FMCSA operating authority is also referred to as an "MC," "FF," or "MX" number, depending on the type of authority that is granted. Unlike the USDOT Number application process, a company may need to obtain multiple operating authorities to support its planned business operations. Operating Authority dictates the type of operation a company may run and the cargo it may carry.

Who needs an MC Number?

companies that do the following are required to have interstate operating authority (MC number) in addition to a DOT number:

  • Operating as for-hire carriers (for a fee or other compensation)

  • Transporting passengers, or arranging for their transport, in interstate commerce

  • Transporting federally regulated commodities or arranging for their transport, in interstate commerce

 Authorized for-hire carrier?

An authorized for-hire motor carrier transports passengers, regulated property, or household goods owned by others for compensation. If you are a for-hire carrier, in addition to the USDOT number you will also need to obtain operating authority (MC number).

Exemption for-hire carrier?

An exempt for-hire motor carrier transports exempt (unregulated) property owned by others for compensation. The exempt commodities usually include unprocessed or unmanufactured goods, fruits and vegetables, and other items of little or no value. 

For a partial listing of exempt and non-exempt commodities, please refer to Administrative Ruling

Private motor carrier?

A private motor carrier transports its own cargo, usually, as a part of a business that produces, uses, sells and/or buys the cargo that is being hauled. A private motor carrier transports its own goods and is required to have a USDOT number but does not need operating authority (MC number).

What is the status of my MC Number?

You can determine the status of your MC Number by clicking here and searching by name, USDOT number or MC number.

bottom of page