top of page

How to get a New DOT number

Updated: Aug 23, 2023

How to get a New DOT number

It's wonderful to get your foot in the door as a commercial motor vehicle driver. You'll have the chance to see the country and make a decent living while doing it, but you'll need to understand what kind of registration the government is expecting all carriers to have. In this article you will learn about all of this.

What is a DOT number?

The federal motor carrier safety administration assigns a special number called a DOT number to motor carriers so that the department may track the data about the activity of motor carriers during safety audit, compliance checks, accident investigations, and inspections.

Do I Need a DOT Number?

You do not need a USDOT number if you are a private individual or a non-motor carrier.

If you own or operate a commercial vehicle, you must comply with safety standards. You must certainly check to see if your chosen transportation business is in compliance with safety laws., and other requirements established by the federal motor carrier safety administration. Please assess the following gaudiness and see whether you qualify for a USDOT Number. You must apply for a USDOT number if any of the following situations exist:

  • You’re an interstate motor carrier


  • You operate a motor vehicle with a GVWR of 10,001+ pounds or

  • You operate a motor vehicle designed to transport 8+ passengers (including driver) for compensation or

  • You operate a motor vehicle designed to transport 15+ passengers (including driver) for no compensation

  • You’re transporting hazardous materials that require a placard. (This regulation applies for interstate AND intrastate carriers)


Interstate commerce refers to the purchase, sale or exchange of commodities, transportation of people, money or goods between states. The federal government regulates interstate commerce that was authorized by Article I in the Constitution. The federal government also regulates commerce that happens within a state if it may impact how goods and services move between states. If your business operates as interstate you will also be required to file UCR (unified carrier registration) and pay the UCR fees.

How to get a DOT number?

When you submit through American Carrier Compliance, you will get a DOT number for free. You will need to fill out our free usdot number application and once summited, our specialist will double-check and make sure that all of your paperwork are accurate, as well as that you have a valid operating authority. We frequently contact carrier customers to double-check the information we've received. Please ensure that you provide us with your most updated contact information so that we may reach you. You can apply for a New DOT HERE.

What Information Do I Need to Complete My DOT Number Filing?

The following information is required to complete the USDOT Number application and obtain your USDOT Number. If you have any questions about this information, please contact your ACC compliance consultant:

  • Company Operation

  • Operation Classification

  • Cargo Classification

  • HazMat Classification (if needed)

  • Type of Vehicles Being Operated

  • Number of Vehicles

  • Interstate/Intrastate Status

  • Number of CDL Drivers

  • Whether you own or lease your vehicles

  • Principal address

DOT Compliance

Once you receive your Free DOT number and your DOT operating authority, now you will need to keep your DOT number in compliance. Once in every 2 years the United States Department of Transportation will require you to submit a form confirming information about your registration. They want to make sure they have the most accurate and updated information about your operation, like mailing address, MC numbers, whether you operate as an interstate carrier or intrastate status and other information.

We provide the same service at American Carrier Compliance that you may get by filling out one of our forms or simply contacting us, and one of our specialists will assist you.

Do I Need an Authority to Operate?

The Operating Authority describes the type of carrier you are and the kind of work you do. For example, whether you're transporting commercial goods or household items as a moving company.

If you meet any of the following requirements, you must obtain an Authority to Operate:

  • You operate as a for-hire carrier

  • You transport passengers between states

  • You transport federally-regulated commodities between states

Depending on the cargo you transport, you may need a different Authority to Operate registration. The correct one must be selected because insurance is linked to this registration. When you work with a ACC consultant to submit your number, we'll also assist you in selecting the proper registration for your company.

DOT Operating Authority Registration Types

The FMCSA recognizes many different types of cargo. This includes:

  • General freight

  • Household goods

  • Drive away/towaway

  • Building materials

  • Motor vehicles

  • Machinery, large objects

  • Liquids/gases

  • Passengers

  • Livestock

  • Intermodal containers

  • Grain, feed, hay

  • Coal

  • Chemicals

  • Refrigerated food

  • Farm supplies

  • Construction

  • Beverages

  • Garbage, trash

  • Oil field equipment

You will find dozens of additional classifications to choose from if you are a hazardous materials courier, including flammable gas, radioactive materials, and poison. If you need assistance determining the best classification for you, your ACC compliance consultant can assist you.

UCR Registration

Any carrier that operates in an interstate capacity must also pay the UCR fee. States will use this money for motor carrier safety programs and enforcement. The filing fee will differ based on the number of vehicles in your fleet.

How do i know which one is my base state?

The UCR Agreement is a base-state system, under which a UCR registrant pays UCR fees through its Base State on behalf of all the participating States. A UCR registrant shall register its Base State using the following hierarchy:

We are advised to consult with our state or locality before choosing our base jurisdiction for business purposes

  1. If your principal place of business state as completed in Section 1 of the form is AK, AL, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NM, NY, OH, OK, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, or WV, you must use that state as your base state.

  2. If your principal place of business state is not one of those listed above but you have an office or operating facility located in one of those states, you must use that state as your base state.

  3. If you cannot select a base state using (I) or (II) above, you must select your base state from (I) above that is nearest your principal place of business or select your base state as follows:

  4. If your principal place of business state is DC, MD, NJ or VT or the Canadian Province of ON, NB, NL, NS, PE, or QC, you may select one of the following states: CT, DE, MA, ME, NH, NY, PA, RI, VA, or WV.

  5. If your principal place of business state is FL or a state of Mexico, you may select one of the following states: AL, AR, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN, or TX.

  6. If your principal place of business state is the Canadian Province of ON or MB, you may select one of the following states: IA, IL, IN, KS, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, or WI.

  7. If your principal place of business state is AZ, HI, NV, OR, or WY, or the Canadian Province of AB, BC, MB, NT, NU, SK or YT or a state of Mexico, you may select one of the following states: AK, CA, CO, ID, MT, ND, NM, SD, UT, or WA.

How do i file UCR?

At ACC, we make it easy for carriers to keep all their compliance. You can fill out the form HERE. Our specialist will review your form and will contact you to verify and correct any missing information. The process may take 1-2 days.

Bottom line:

It is really simple to comply with American Carrier Compliance, and we are always ready to answer any queries you may have if you are unsure how to proceed. Many businesses fall short of the united states government standard, putting them at risk of an audit. Get your us dot number, pay your unified carrier registration fees and follow all the guidelines by using our convenient forms.



bottom of page